Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Why I love Facebook

I love Facebook.  Yes, there are times that I get aggravated about what they are doing or how things are changing but for the most part I find it a great engine to rekindle friendships, keep in touch with family and share things in your life.  I have a high school friend that I have rekindled with on Facebook.  Well rekindled is a bit of an exaggeration.  We were really not that good of friends in high school.  I mean she knew who I was, and we exchanged hellos in the halls and I certainly knew who she was!  Dawn and I were not really friends.  We never hung out and in fact (she doesn't even know this) She was actually one of my "enemies".  You see there was this boy that I really liked and I had asked to go to the Sadie Hawkins dance with me and he turned me down.  Why?  Well because he was waiting with hopeful anticipation that Dawn would ask him.  That automatically turned her into the enemy.  She never did ask him, and as far as I know they never went out.  Now fast forward 20 years and add a social network and the spark of a friendship started.  We became friends on Facebook, as most people do when they are requested and you know who they are, but something else started also.  We began emailing back and forth to each other.  Sharing things going on in our lives.  We ere both going through some rough spots in our lives,and had a common denominator of being married to a not so nice person and shared in the struggles divorce brings to our kids.  We email, chat when we are both online and have become rather good friends.  We never saw each other or met for lunches or shopping trips, but none the less, I considered her a close friend.  We lived 2 hours away from each other so seeing each other was difficult but in spite of that our friendship grew.  We both moved on and are now at happy places in our lives.  She has remarried,and invited me to both her bachelorette party and wedding, which we could not go to either since I was out of town, but I thought about her on those special days and wished for her to be happy.  We finally got together a few weeks ago for a cookie exchange I was hosting at my house.  I was so glad she was able to come!  We had just then exchanged phone numbers,to keep in touch a little more and hopefully build on this foundation of friendship we have.  So you see I love Facebook for that reason alone.  it has brought another great woman into my life and has shown me you don't have to see the person in order to have a strong friendship.  I am very thankful for the friendship Dawn and I have and I hope that it continues to grow!


Dawn and I at the Cookie Exchange in November


At our cookie exchange she brought these wonderful "Bun" Candies.  The are absolutely out of this world and she gave me permission to share the recipe, so here it is.


Bun Candy 

One cup of powedered sugar for one oz of cream cheese
add flavoring of choice: maple, vanilla or peppermint

Roll the filling dough into a log and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Slice into disks.
For peppermint patties, dip in semi sweet melted chocolate

For "buns" place small amount of meltede chocolate onto pan, add disk on top and coat top with melted milk chocolate with peanuts. 

Keep refrigerated.  



Spread small amount of chocolate onto wax paper



Slice the cream filling mixture and place a slice on top of the chocolate



Place peanuts on top 


Top with enough Chocolate to cover.  These are so good!









Thanks for the recipe Dawn, and more importantly your friendship!!

1 comment:

  1. oh Denise. Tears in my eyes. Thank you for your unconditional friendship. You have shown me that even though we aren't close in miles that we can remain close friends. You mean a lot to me and I love ya'. Us "city chick to farm girls" gotta stick together :)
    ummm....who is this mystery man from EMHS? I'm so sorry I hurt you back then!
    I cherish our friendship!

    ReplyDelete