Friday, September 7, 2012

Happy birthday to me!!

Today is my birthday.  I am 43 years old.  I remember when my mom turned 41, why I remember that one so vividly I have no clue, but I remember how old she looked, and how much she looked like a "mom".  I don't mind about looking like a "mom" , but I don't believe I look 43 or as old as my mom looked.  I think a lot of it has to do with our environment and how we dress, wear our hair, etc.  I also know it has a lot to do with lifestyle.  Reflecting back a decade ago, I am a totally different person.  10 years ago, I had just lost my mom to ovarian cancer two months before.  Was still in shock and very sad about it.  it was my first birthday without her.  I was in a marriage that was not fulfilling in many ways, and honestly I was eating myself into an early grave.  I was topping the scale at 289 pounds, and not exercising or doing any type of activity and was eating as much processed food that I could.  No vegetables, no fruit, Diet Coke daily, actually multiple ones, and just in general not taking care of myself because I didn't really care.  I had just given birth the year before to Kendall and that gave me my excuse to eat what I wanted and it just continued on with my moms illness and death. I was miserable!


Me at my heaviest, the Christmas after my mom died.




Fast forward 10years.  I'm in a happy fulfilling relationship with a man who really cares and loves me, I have an incredible family and friend base who cheer me on with anything I chose to do.  I have a sister who at my heaviest weight still loved me and did things with me even though I am sure it was hard for her to see me deteriorating away like I was.  We have talked about my weight issue since I have lost it and we both agree that my mom would be healthier now if she was around also because of the healthy way we both live now.  Now, I am over 120 pounds lighter, I eat healthy, exercise regularly, and I pride myself on eating tons and tons of fresh fruits and veggies.  I was a self proclaimed veggie hater 10 years ago, now I eat vegetables I never thought I would.  My treat now is to "splurge" on having a banana with Peanut Butter.  I still reward myself now and then, I am defiantly having cake for my birthday, but nothing like I used to eat on a daily basis.  I don't drink Diet coke anymore, water only, with an occasional drink or two here or there.  I have crossed many things off of my bucket list.  I have flown by myself.  I have traveled a lot more, driven by myself on trips, something I would not or believed I could not do in my previous life.  I am a different person....and I like that person I have become, so I'm not sad or depressed about having another birthday and getting a year older, because frankly I have never felt better, been in better health, and looked better than I do now!





Me a lifetime from the above picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment