Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Mothers Love

My oldest daughter, Hillary, was home this past weekend for the July 4th party we had.  this is the first summer she is not at home.  She is off trying to become an independent adult.  Although it makes me proud that she wants to do this and be on her own it is also so hurtful to think she doesn't need me in the same capacity that she used to.  I mean , yes we all need our mothers, but she has moved onto another stage in her life which puts her and I at another stage in our mother/daughter relationship.  We have gone through some rocky times, i mean who hasn't with their parents, but all in all she is a great kid, er I mean adult.  I am very  proud of the woman she has become, I mean she has graduated college with a bachelors degree, in 4 years none the less.  That in itself is almost unheard of in these days, she has over come some obstacles of personal growth regarding relationships, and she truly wants to make it on her own.  She is a world traveler, traveling to Greece for her senior semester in College , something I would never have done at her age, let alone all by herself without anyone.  I admire her courage and her adventurous spirit.  She would love to live and work overseas, much to my fear, I believe she will do it.  


Me and Hillary at the party this past weekend


It makes me think of my relationship I had with my mom and how it was always great, but as I become an adult was it truly one of admiration, and friendship.  She was my best friend, the one who would always have answers, and the one who would drop everything at a chance to see me or her grandkids, the one I could count on no matter what. I miss that feeling.  My mom passed away 10 years ago from ovarian cancer and I think that is what I miss most, the feeling that their is someone who will drop everything for you and give you that hug or talk or just understanding that comes naturally when you have a child.  Unconditional love, that is what mothers should give to their children. That is what I hope I have given my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment